What is mentoring?
There are a number of definitions for mentoring, most of which contain words such as ‘support’, ‘learning’, ‘nurturing’ and ‘realising potential’. Mentoring is a useful and increasingly popular approach to help develop skills and nurture talent.
This project facilitates the linking of volunteer mentors and mentees from across the industry to work on a one to one mentoring partnership to enable the support and development of the mentee.
The programme has been developed to address the under-representation within management and leadership structures in the built environment sector, with particular but not exclusive focus on:
- Black and ethnic minorities
- People with disabilities
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT)
- Those from disadvantaged socioeconomic backgrounds
Mentees who are at a key stage in their career development will be prioritised for the scheme, for example, those who are progressing from:
- Student to Practitioner level
- Newly qualified practitioners to junior managers
- Junior management to senior practitioners/associate and beyond
- Sole practitioners who are hoping to expand their businesses
We welcome applications from potential mentors who are able and willing to share their time and expertise with a mentee. Mentors and mentees will be selected via an application and interviewed and can be recruited from professionals from within or outside of the construction industry.
This scheme recruits mentors from a pan-professional group who, via their applications, demonstrate the drive, ambition and enthusiasm to take part in the scheme.
Volunteers are asked to commit to the scheme for 12 months, typically volunteers need to spend 4 hours per month communicating with their mentee via face-to-face meetings or virtual means. For further information on the mentoring role please download a role description and volunteer agreement from the following links.
Please note: Applications are now closed for volunteer mentors and mentees 2017-18. If you wish to join our waiting list please email Danna Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a question? Please check our FAQs below:
Frequently Asked Questions
- What happens after I complete the application? Applications close on the 30th September – you will be contacted after that date from a member of the programme team then regarding an informal interview in October. Please note places are limited on the programme.
- Can I apply to be both a mentor and mentee? Yes, you can.
- I’ve been a mentee in the past can I apply again? We’ve had an overwhelming response and interest in the programme from mentees, priority will, therefore, be given to new applicants to the programme. Check out our tips on other ways to get support.
- I live outside London in the UK can I take part? Yes, we welcome applications from built environment professionals from across the UK and we encourage participants who are not based in the same region to meet virtually if at all possible.
- I’m not an architect can I take part? We welcome applications from all built environment professionals including surveyors, engineers, planners, project managers, environmental engineers and others.
Click on the link below for further information on the programme.